Friargate, Scarborough North Yorkshire YO11 1HS

01723 374244

admin@friarage.n-yorks.sch.uk

Governors Meetings

  

Governing Body Core Functions:

Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.

Holding the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.

Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money well spent.

 

 ATTENDANCE RECORDS FOR GOVERNORS SEPTEMBER 2016 TO JULY 2017


NAMES/DATES OF GOVERNING BODY MEETING


15.09.16    24.11.16    13.02.17    20.3.17    22.5.17    17.7.17    ATTENDED %

Cllr Janet Jefferson   YES           YES            YES          NO          YES          YES          5/6 83%
Rhona Liley               YES           YES            YES         YES         YES          YES          6/6 100%
Cheryl Cappleman    YES           YES            YES         YES         YES          YES          6/6 100%
Ruth Blamires           YES           YES            YES         YES         YES          YES           6/6 100%
Kate Woodward Hay YES          YES            YES         YES          YES         YES           6/6 100%
Amanda C Haywood NO             NO             YES         YES          YES         YES           4/6 66%
Rev Geoff Bowell      YES           YES             NO          YES          NO          YES           4/6 66%
Marcin Jaskolka        NO             YES            YES         YES           NO           NO           3/6 50%
Pr Adrian Moore       YES            YES            YES           NO (RESIGNED)
Adrian Vipond          YES            YES             YES         YES          YES        YES           6/6 100%
Debbie Seymour (New Governor from 22.5.17)-                             YES         YES           2/2 100%

===============================================================================

Dominika         YES            YES            YES           YES          NO         YES

 

 

 

Full Governing Body meeting 17th July 2017 at 4:15 pm at the school

PRESENT

Chair

Vice Chair

Co-Head Teacher

Co-Head Teacher

 

Cllr Janet Jefferson (JJ) except items 6 and 7

Mrs Rhona Liley (RL)

Mrs Cheryl Cappleman (CC)

Mrs Ruth Blamires (RB)

Mr Adrian Vipond (AV)

Mrs Kate Woodward-Hay (KWH)

Rev Geoff Bowell (GB) from item 3

Mrs Amanda Cooper-Haywood (ACH)

Ms Debbie Seymour (DS)

 

LA Governor

Co-opted Governor

 

 

Associate Member

Staff Governor

Co-opted Governor

Parent Governor

Co-opted Governor

IN ATTENDANCE

Clerk

Maths Subject Lead

English Subject Lead

 

Ms Dominika Jureczko (DJ)

Mr Matt Seeley (MS) until the end of item 3

Ms Marcia Copeland (MC) until the end of item 3

 

NOT PRESENT

 

Mr Marcin Jaskolka (MJ)

 

Parent Governor

 

The meeting started at 4.18 pm.

 

Item

Minute

Action

Part A - Procedural

1.

Apologies for absence and to determine whether any absences should be consented to.

 

No apologies had been received.

 

 

 

 

2.

Declaration of Governors' interests.

 

Mrs Jefferson declared that she is a Scarborough Borough Councillor and a North Yorkshire County Councillor and chairs the NYCC Young People's Overview and Scrutiny Committee and the Children's Safeguarding Strategy Group (CSSG) for Scarborough and Ryedale. Mrs Liley declared that she is a Cayton Parish Councillor.

 

 

3.

Matt Seeley (MS) and Marcia Copeland (MC) to discuss their roles as Maths, Reading and Writing Leaders and how the year has progressed and the impact it has had on teaching and learning.

 

The Subject Leaders were introduced to the governors and welcomed by the Chair.

 

Report from the Maths Subject Leader.

The Maths Subject Leader tabled his report, highlighted the key points and invited comments and questions.

 

Question: A governor enquired about the gap between boys and girls in year 5.

Answer: The gaps grew greater for boys in year 5 compared to last year. This will be a focus for the Subject Leader in the next academic year. The teachers moved towards “Maths-No Problem” practice. The Subject Leader explained the approach, highlighting using the apparatus and adopting a practical approach to math problems. Hopefully, this will have a positive impact on narrowing the gaps.

 

The gap is also widening for the Pupil Premium children in year 3. Part of the reason is cohort change. The Subject Leader is putting steps in place to make sure this gap is narrowing.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the school has enough resources to deliver the new curriculum.

Answer: Part of the strategy is using the resources. The Subject Leader consulted the “Maths-No Problem” providers to make sure the school is prepared. A maths budget is available in terms of resources.

 

A governor commented that the way the tracking of data for maths is presented is very helpful to the governors.

 

The Subject Leader stressed there is a much more rigorous approach towards assessment at the school to ensure all children are making a progress. The teachers are tracking the children throughout the Key Stage.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether attendance has had impact on the children’s results.

Answer: Yes, definitely. This year maths lessons were taking place in the morning, which meant the persistently late children lost a lot of time. However, the Senior Welfare and Attendance Officer is doing a lot to help with pupils’ lateness.

 

Question: A governor enquired about the teachers’ feedback on the new approach to maths.

Answer: The teachers are happy to follow advice and learn, there is good collaboration among staff.

 

In response to a governor’s question, the Subject Leader gave an overview of the teaching assistants’ deployment during maths lessons and their positive impact on the children’s learning.

 

In response to a question, the Subject Leader confirmed that he does observe lessons.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the “Maths-No Problem” approach is suitable for children with dyscalculia.

Answer: “Maths-No Problem” is aiming to meet the needs of all children. It is very practical; every child is able to access the curriculum at their level.

 

The school SENCo commented that she has attended the “Maths-No Problem” training and is happy with how the children with dyscalculia can access it.

 

Report from the English Subject Leader.

The Subject Leader tabled her report and gave a short overview. She highlighted that in year 3 there were children with SEN who have impacted the results.

 

In year 1 70% of pupils passed the phonics screening test. This is a good result; however, the Subject Leader would prefer it to be higher.

 

In response to a governor’s question, the Co-Head Teachers drew their attention to their report, where the national figures were included.

 

Reciprocal reading was introduced 18 months ago. The impact has not been big enough.

Question: A governor enquired why it was so.

Answer: In retrospect, reciprocal reading would have been more effective if children were at a higher level in their reading. This year a new, more focused approach will be introduced. Reciprocal reading has been very useful; however, the staff will need to develop it more to make a more significant impact.

 

The Subject Leader gave an overview of the “Talk 4 Writing” approach.

 

In response to a governor’s question, the Subject Leader confirmed that clips of films are used in lessons to stimulate and inspire the children.

 

The Subject Leader stressed that the staff are aware they are fighting a culture of non-readers. This means they will need to do more reading at school to balance for children not reading at home.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the Subject Leader has access to enough learning resources.

Answer: The Subject Leader is receiving advice on which resources are needed, some books were recommended. These will be bought as a starting point. More resources will be purchased as they are needed for the library and in-class reading materials.

 

In response to a governor’s questions, the Subject Leader explained she has not done as many lesson observations as the Maths Subject Leader because she was teaching the year 6 class. Next year, she will have a one day a fortnight of subject leadership time so this will improve.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether more books are needed for the school library.

Answer: There are a lot of books at school; however, it will be reviewed this time next year.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the Subject Leader is planning to engage the parents.

Answer: Yes. She would like to introduce a reward scheme with stickers for reading books at home, for example.

 

Question: A governor enquired how the staff will get figures for how often the children read at home.

Answer: The parents will sign a reading record of their children.

 

The governors thanked the subject leaders for their reports.

 

 

4.

To determine whether any part of the proceedings should be treated as confidential and excluded from the minutes to be made available for public inspection.

 

There were none declared at this time.

 

 

5.

Notification of urgent other business.

 

·         Maureen Benson from Ebor Academy wishes to attend next Full Governing Body Meeting.

·         Further updates on Premises.

 

6.

To re-appoint Cllr Janet Jefferson as LA Governor for term of office starting 1st September 2017.

 

Cllr Jefferson was appointed as LA governors for term of office starting 1st September.

 

 

7.

To re-elect Cllr Janet Jefferson as the Chair for term of office starting 1st September 2017.

 

Cllr Janet Jefferson was elected as the Chair of the Governing Body for term of office starting 1st September 2017 via secret ballot.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the Chair should be referred to as Councillor Jefferson or Mrs Jefferson at governors’ meetings and on the reports and minutes.

Action: Clerk to seek clarification on the matter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DJ

8.

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Governing Body held on 22nd May 2017.

 

This had been circulated with the agenda papers.

The minutes were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

 

9.

Date of next meeting.

 

It was decided that the first meeting in the autumn term will take place on 18th September 2017 at 4:15 pm.

 

 

Part B – School Improvement

10.

To receive and ask questions – Co-Head Teachers’ report.

To include safeguarding and attendance reports.

 

This had been circulated with the agenda papers.

 

The Co-Head Teachers drew the governors’ attention to their report and invited comments and questions.

 

The governors commented the new format of the report is very helpful.

A governor was happy to see that the exclusions have come down.

 

Question: A governor enquired about the serious racist incident.

Answer: The Co-Head Teachers assured the governors the incident was reported as per latest guidance.

 

A governor requested that the Co-Head Teachers’ report include data for pupil lateness.

Action: Co-Head Teachers to provide for the next meeting.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the Senior Welfare and Attendance Officer’s practice has had a positive impact on the pupils who are persistently late.

Answer: Overall, his impact has been positive.

The Senior Welfare and Attendance Officer gave an overview of the procedure he follows in case of children who are persistently late.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether these families have multiple children at school.

Answer: Some of them do.

 

The Co-Head Teachers drew the governors’ attention to the one-week study in their report which shows impact of the Senior Welfare and Attendance Officer’s practice.

 

The governors discussed whether it would be prudent to start processing fines for persistent absences and whether that would help raise the children’s attendance.

 

Question: A governor enquired what would happen if a parent did not pay the fine.

Answer: The case would go to court.

 

Question: A governor enquired whether the parents can pay the fine in instalments.

Answer: Not the fine, but if the case goes to court the judge might rule that the fine can be paid in instalments.

 

The Chair read some figures from a North Yorkshire survey showing that absence and school attendance in Scarborough is one of the lowest in the County.

 

The governors discussed this further.

 

It was decided that the Co-Head Teachers will process the fines for term-time holidays, persistent absence and lateness, following the procedure and in line with the legislation.

 

In response to a question, the Co-Head Teachers assured the governors that teachers would not have been awarded a good judgement without a triangulation of the quality of teaching and data and there is sufficient evidence for all the judgements.

 

Challenge: A governor expressed a concern about one of the near misses and the safety of the child concerned.

Answer: The Co-Head Teachers gave more background to the incident, stressing that all procedures were followed by the staff.

 

Question: A governor enquired about the gap between boys and girls visible in the phonics results.

Answer: There has been a significant decrease from last year; however, the results are not as good as they should be and this will be a focus for the next year.

 

The governors discussed the private cars being parked on school land which in some situations might block access to the school’s car park. The Chair will investigate the situation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB, CC

11.

Meta cognition (presentation from last meeting).

 

This had been circulated prior to the meeting.

 

The SENCo gave an overview of meta-cognition programme and how it can enrich children’s learning and improve provision for Key Stage 2.

 

Meta-cognition is about learning about learning. The children should be able to understand how they learn and how to take ownership of their learning.

 

The SENCo piloted the meta-cognition programme at the school, which involved one discrete lesson per week in one of the classes.

 

The outcomes have been very good. The percent of children achieving 2age related expectations” or above have increased. All children have made expected progress or above. There are no children refusing to do their work.

 

The SENCo read what children said about learning and highlighted the children were keen to share their experiences with learning and their attitude to learning is very positive. The programme goes very well together with “Maths-No Problem”.

 

Meta-cognition will be introduced across the school from September.

 

The governors thanked the SENCo for her report.

 

 

12.

Policy reviews.

 

There were none due for review.

 

 

13.

To receive report from governor visits to the school which took place since the last meeting.

 

Reports had been circulated with the agenda papers.

·         25th May 2017 – JJ

·         9th June 2017 – JJ

·         13th June 2017 - ACH

·         5th July 2017 - JJ

 

 

14.

To report any training the governors have undergone since the last meeting and to consider any training needs.

 

·         Safeguarding – GB

·         Raising achievement and Pupil Premium strategy training – JJ

Referring to the “Report to Governors re ICT – February 2017” document, a governor requested the figure for how many parents attended the Safer Internet Day 2017 on 7th February.

Action: The Co-Head Teachers to provide.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB, CC

15.

360 Degree Review of Chair/Leadership of Governing Body.

 

The Chair tabled the “360 Degree Review of the Chair’s performance” questionnaire and requested that the governors fill it in. This will be discussed further in the autumn term.

 

Action: Clerk to insert on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DJ

16.

To form Governor Working Group to carry out Self-Evaluation Tool for School Governing Body covering academic year 2017/18 based on ‘Reviews of School Performance’ and School Development Plan.

 

It was decided to form a Governor Working Group to carry out Self-Evaluation Tool for School Governing Body covering academic year 2017/18 based on ‘Reviews of School Performance’ and School Development Plan.

 

The first meeting will be held on 12th September 2017 at 2:00 – 4:00 pm (1:30 pm for the presentation).

 

Chair stressed the importance of the link governor role. These roles will be reviewed in September.

 

 

Part C – Other Business

17.

To deal with any matters agreed for consideration under point 5 above – urgent other business.

 

·         Request by Maureen Benson to attend our next Full Governing Body Meeting -  The request of MB was agreed.

Action:  Chair to contact Maureen Benson with date of next Full Governing Body meeting and Clerk to insert on Agenda her attendance.

 

·         Premises - the additional updates were covered under the Co-Head Teachers’ report item 10.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JJ

DJ

The Governing Body:

 

·         Monitored the children’s results for maths and English.

·         Requested more information regarding pupil lateness and its impact.

·         Decided that the Co-Head Teachers should process fines.

·         Made sure that quality of teaching judgements are based on appropriate evidence to ensure the quality of teaching.

 

 

The meeting ended at 6:33 pm

 

Awards

Awards